That’s my son Myron doing one of his favorite things in the world — stretching!
Watching him do this several times each day has got me thinking, what is stretching me?
What’s Stretching Me at the Moment…
Here are a few of the things that are stretching me, causing me to grow and to learn (in no particular order):
- School. I’ve been in school for what seems like forever. Finishing my PhD has required so much perseverance and patience, the second of which I don’t come by naturally. If all continues to go well, I should be finished this summer. *Fingers crossed*
- Marriage. I’ve said it many times that I didn’t know how selfish I was until I got married. And that statement is as true today as it was in 2002 when I first got married! The stretching caused by marriage is varied but it is definitely effective! To me, the hardest part of marriage is choosing each day to put the interests of my wife before my own. Man, why is it so hard not to be selfish!?
- Parenthood. Since being a dad is so new to me (only one month in!), it feels like the thing that is stretching me the most right now! I’m learning to live on less sleep, to prioritize differently, and to do things that I hadn’t done often before. But most of all, fatherhood is teaching me that my capacity for love is much greater than I ever imagined! When I heard Myron’s first cry, I felt like the Grinch at the end of the book: my heart grew three sizes!
- Leadership. Whether in official capacities or informal ones, being a leader is always a stretching experience! Not unlike marriage and parenthood, being a good leader means putting the interests and needs of others at the forefront. This is always unnatural, or at least it is for me!
- Spiritual Disciplines. I’m not a planner. I’m a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-er. And with regard to spirituality, spontaneity is not always best! In my experience, it is best to have some spiritual practices (such as prayer, Bible reading, fasting, etc.) which are a regular part of my life. For me, the one that creates the most stretching in me is daily, devotional Bible reading. For me this is a challenge because when I read the Bible I constantly think about it either as an academic, thinking about all the grammatical, historical, and theological issues, or as a teacher, thinking about how to communicate the truths found within to others. It is a daily struggle for me to find personal, spiritual meaning from the Bible. This discipline helps me grow!
- Work. I’m about to embark on a new assignment at work and it will be a stretching process! I’m excited to see how God grows me and my community through this opportunity. But I’m also quite aware that things will be difficult at times and that I’ll have to find creative ways to move forward or to step aside and let others take the limelight. I’m looking forward to the challenge.
So, what kinds of things are stretching you in your life right now?
Let me know in the comments below!